At Clara Grant, we believe that children cannot learn effectively if they are absent from school. High attainment and progress are dependent on good attendance. Therefore, we aim to ensure that all pupils take full advantage of the educational opportunities available to them and raise standards by promoting high levels of attendance and punctuality.
On occasions, absence or lateness cannot be helped. In these circumstances, it is our policy to be supportive of the child and the family. We also give allowances for religious observances and individual family circumstances.
We believe that it is essential that parents are regularly reminded of the importance of good attendance and its links to pupil attainment. The Education Act 1996 clearly states that the prime responsibility of parents/carers is to ensure that their children attend school regularly.
The school will not authorise any holiday to be taken during term time.
If your child is absent, please call the school and request to speak with the attendance officer.
- On the first day of absence, the office will call home to ascertain the reason for absence;
- If a child’s attendance falls below 95%, a letter will be sent home; and
- If a child’s attendance falls below 90%, the Attendance & Family Support Officer will carry out a home visit.
The Local Authority can send you a penalty notice (fine) if:
- Your child’s attendance falls below 90% in a term period without a good reason;
- You take your child out of school during term time (for holidays for example) without agreeing the leave with the school;
- Your child is delayed returning from a period of leave, and you have not agreed this with the school;
- Your child arrives at school after the registers have closed more than 10 times; and
- Your child is excluded from school but is seen in a public place during the first five days of that exclusions.
The fine is £60.00 per parent, per child if you pay within 21 days of receiving the notice. If you do not pay the fine within 21 days, but pay it within 28 days, the cost will rise to £120.00. If you do not pay at all, the Local Authority may take legal action.
For further information, please arrange an appointment to speak to the Headteacher.